Sunday 24 August 2014

Sydney Theatre Co. and Archibald Prize

Hey everyone,

Well first of all I'm going to see Cyrano de Bergerac at the Sydney Theatre Co. in November and I'm excited because I haven't seen a live production in a while! The last time I went to the Sydney Theatre Co. was when I went to see Storm Boy (can't remember when, a year or two ago I suppose) which was excellent by the way. My grandma read me the book when I was little and the production was wonderfully done! So yeah hopefully I will like Cyrano de Bergerac. Richard Roxburgh is playing the part of Cyrano so I'm excited for that too. Hugo Weaving is doing Macbeth at the moment at the Sydney Theatre Co. and if it were anything but Macbeth I may have gone to see it. Unfortunately I have been put off Macbeth after doing it in English this year but to be honest I really didn't like the story of Macbeth regardless of having to write an essay on it. I found it kind of boring to be honest. Maybe seeing a live production would have made me enjoy it more but anyway... Macbeth is the first and only Shakespeare play I've read so I'm interested to read a few more Shakespeare in English in the next two years to see if there is one I like better. Yeah I've kind of had a bad start to Shakespeare but I'm going to remain optimistic.

Second of all, if you haven't gone to see the Archibald then go see it now! To be honest I actually liked the artworks in the Sulman Prize exhibition better but the Archibald, Sulman, and Wynne, as well as the Young Archie are all on display next to each other at the Art Gallery of NSW. So if you are popping by Sydney check it out! It's on until the 28th September 2014. If you can't make it there, see the finalist artworks on the website. If you do live close by do try and see them in person though, it's much better. I had so many favourites their were so many great ones! Oh and if you look in the Young Archie section there is a drawing by a 15(?) year old girl of her grandmother done in ballpoint pen and it is just AMAZING. If you don't know what the Archibald prize is, here is a short explanation from the Art Gallery of NSW website:
"The Archibald Prize is awarded annually to the best portrait, 'preferentially of some man or woman distinguished in art, letters, science or politics, painted by any artist resident in Australasia’.
This open competition is judged by the trustees of the Art Gallery of NSW. Finalists are displayed in an exhibition at the Gallery... Although it is a non-acquisitive prize, several of the entries are now part of the Gallery’s collection.
The Archibald Prize was first awarded in 1921. In establishing the prize, JF Archibald’s aim was to foster portraiture as well as support artists and perpetuate the memory of great Australians. Over the years some of Australia’s most prominent artists have entered and the subjects have been equally celebrated in their fields."

Also, I found two really great things recently. First of all, Codecademy. It teaches you how to use HTML and CSS and explains it quite simply through step by step, interactive lessons. The other website is Duolingo. It's a language site that teaches you languages like English, Spanish, French, Italian, German etc (and more coming soon) and is tailored specifically for whatever language you speak already. It teaches you in a way that gets right down to saying simple sentences rather than teaching you like you're a kindergarten.  It's really great, you can redo lessons and practice until you get it right. It is interactive meaning you get a hands-on learning experience by converting English into Italian (just an example), Italian into English, speaking Italian into a microphone etc. Plus it's free! So if you want to learn a language I suggest this site for you. And this is a personal recommendation because I too want to learn a language and learn HTML and CSS so I know that both of those things can be tricky but these sites are some, if not the, best I've seen. And if not that, then they are definitely the best value (they're both free!!).

And that's it.

Be happy, be grateful, be generous, be bold, be spontaneous, and have a wonderful day!

Jody

No comments:

Post a Comment