Saturday 31 January 2015

January = Dragonkeeper, curry, + Big Hero 6

Hi guys,

I've decided to do these posts at the end of the month so that I can give you a recap on what has happened this month, as well as reviews and personal opinion.

I'll start with book of the month, this month I have re-read a Children's book called Dragonkeeper by Carole Wilkinson. I couldn't remember what happened in this book so I read it again because I knew I liked it before and I really enjoyed it :) I believe the suggested age group is grade 5-6 (10-13 years olds) which I totally I agree with but it's also a fun read for the young at heart. For example I'm 16 and I enjoyed it, but then, I don't mind reading Children's book so long as their interesting or they bring back a sense of nostalgia :) Anyway this is a great read and I would rate it 100%, 5 out of 5. Not because this is the most fantastic novel I've ever read, but because it is a wonderful children's book and although it is not my favourite book, it is an all-round, perfectly written story and I will definitely be reading the next book in the series: Garden of the Purple Dragon.

I made only one (proper) meal this month and that was an easy-peasy recipe I got off the jar of Patak's Korma Paste. It's super mild (not hot at all in fact) and so it's perfect for kids (or adults) who don't like things too spicy. Or, you can add your own spices. I used the recipe on the jar and also added in a capsicum and a carrot (they were basically the only veggies we had but you can add whatever else you want) which I blitzed up in the food processor (If you're cooking dishes for kids with ingredients they don't like, either blend it up so small so that they can't see it, cannot tell what it is, or can't taste it distinctly. Or, chop it big enough to be picked out easily).

And now for the highlight of January. This month my brother, mother, and I went to see Big Hero 6 in cinemas and it was amazing! I highly recommend getting it on DVD because it was sooo good! It was the best movie I've seen in a while. There's nothing else I can say about it you just have to see it!
 Hopefully I'm not raising your expectations too high so that you are let down (I find the movies I enjoyed most are the movies I knew very little about, or wasn't expecting to love so much). So Big Hero 6 was a huge thumbs up from me and but I won't tell you what I rate it because I don't want to get your hopes up too high only to be let down when you see it. Lets just say it was it was refreshing to see an original (I hope) Disney film that was made so perfectly after what seems like a run of movies where Disney has run out of ideas.


I also went to see Into The Woods with my cousins and my cousin and I both agreed that the movie was (in my words) strange and (in her words) odd. That's about all I can say about Into The Woods. It was strange and I don't know if I really enjoyed it. I would not recommend it (to anyone).

Also this month I went to Madame Tussauds in Sydney with my cousins for the first time and got a picture taken with a beautiful (and slightly intimidating) wax model of Johnny Depp. It's a shame they don't have a certain Loki in the museum in Sydney but I guess I'll just have to go to the U.K for that (and possibly see him in person there too).
Can I just go off topic here for a moment and say I am really excited and nervous at the same time.
Reasons to be exited: Year 11, which is exciting because I'm finally doing subjects that I (hopefully) want to do, which means less than 2 years of high school left, which means choices, which means one of those choices could mean travel (which I so want to do).
Reasons to be nervous: Year 11, which means hard work, which means HSC coming up, which means high school is almost finished, which means choices, which means one of those choices could mean university (which I really want to do) - but uni will be expensive :( so that's why I'm nervous and excited all at the same time. Anyway back on track, Madam Tassauds was very cool and the previous day I also went to the Circus Factory at the Powerhouse Museum and that was really fun. Lots of fun to be had for kids and I was particularly obsessed with a trick where you spun a plate-like-thing on top of a stick-rod-thing. Unfortunately they didn't sell any in the gift shop and you'd have to buy it from a circus shop if you wanted it which was disappointing because I did want it.

Back to books, I've started reading Firesong (which I will talk about later) but it's so boring at the moment and I can't get into but hopefully I will get through it in February. It's a small book so it shouldn't take long it's just that I can't get into it D: Our English class has also been given a book which I will talk about next month as well.

Well that's all for now, hope you all had a wonderful first month of 2015 (I hope the rest of this year is as good) and I'll see you in February :)

Jody

No comments:

Post a Comment